Who are we?
Clio Online was founded on the idea that the world of teaching and learning was in need of new IT-based, innovative, creative and compelling learning materials for teachers to integrate into teaching, and for pupils to enjoy during class.
Clio Online was established in 2006 and is currently owned by the company’s three founding partners, Louise Herping Ellegaard, Janus Benn Sørensen and Lasse Guldsborg. In March 2015 Bonnier Business Press acquired a majority stake in Clio Online. Today the company is owned partly by the founding partners and partly by Bonnier Business Press.
The beginning of an era
The first digital learning portal was launched in 2007 – a history portal for primary and lower secondary schools. Clio Online had spotted a niche in the market for teaching and learning, and since then, many more digital learning portals have followed.
The portals are all provided with access to ‘My Clio’ – a digital cross-curricular planning tool, enabling teachers to post homework assignments, put together courses and lesson plans and share them with colleagues, and match courses and lesson plans with the National Curriculum.
Clio Online is a strong market leader
In 2014, Clio Online held an estimated 47% market share of the Danish digital learning materials market. The market's other two big players hold a share of approximately 19% each, while the remaining 15% is equally split by a number of niche suppliers.
Today, Clio Online has approximately 2,000 customers, including 90% of all Danish primary and lower secondary schools. Furthermore, our products have a high renewal rate.
Everyone around us is a muse
The muse Clio defines who we are. In Greek mythology, Clio is the muse of history, and in our logo design, she has been brought into the 21st century with a laptop in hand. The thought behind the muse of inspiration is essential to us. We believe that everyone at Clio Online is a muse, bringing inspiration to schoolteachers and students. In return, teachers and students are an inspiration to us.
At Clio Online, we work hard to create and further develop digital learning materials that will inspire students to learn more and make learning more motivational, both in the classroom and online. Our aim is to help as much as possible with teacher preparation programs such as tests, curriculum planning, annual learning plans and teaching itself.
- Bett Awards 2015 Finalist
- National Champion representing Denmark in the 2015/16 European Business Awards in The Business of the Year Award with Turnover of €0-25m.
- Bronze in the Best European Schoolbook Awards 2013
- AA diploma for high creditworthiness in 2012, 2013 and 2014 based on Soliditet's credit system
- Appointed as a Gazelle company by the Danish business newspaper Børsen for three consecutive years in 2012, 2013 and 2014. In the Danish language, the term 'Gazelle' has become a synonym for companies with high growth rates. In short, the company must have had continuous growth in revenue or gross profit over a four-year span, and must have more than doubled their total revenue or gross profit overall during the period.
- Finalist for Best Learning Material of the Year Award 2010 by the Danish Ministry of Education.